Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Sounds of Summer


You know when a song just brings you back and reminds you of something or someplace? There are so many songs that encapsulate this summer for me. No matter where this summer took me (and if you've been reading this blog you know the good, the bad, the ugly), music was my constant companion. It is my sincere hope that I can listen back to these songs and that they will release that much needed cry, smile, or emotion. Even as background noise to everyday life, these songs are part of me. Think of it as "Leslie's Laugh/Cry/Hard Times/Beautiful Moments Mix." Happy listening!

"Beautiful Rose" by Sean McConnell: AJ introduced me to Sean McConnell toward the beginning of May. I instantly loved his sound! Every single song he has just speaks to me. His lyrics are soulful and wonderful. Fave lyric: "Praise the Lord there's something more than what we think we're fighting for. Just think what we'd be missing if we only got what we were wishing."



"Your Song" by Ellie Goulding: I love this version of this classic song! My sister introduced me to this one on a mix CD she made me called "The Hadley Grace" mix (why don't we all make mixed CD's for each other anymore? SO fun!) Fave lyric: "I hope you don't mind that I put into words, how wonderful life is now that you're in the world."


"10,000 Reasons" by Matt Redman: This is my absolute favorite church song and it reminds me that no matter what, there are always "10,000 reasons for my heart to sing." In fact, I printed out that specific phrase and have it hanging on our fridge. It helps when I feel like without Hadley we have nothing. In fact, there are always things to be thankful for. Fave lyric: "Whatever may pass, whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes."


"Roll Away Your Stone" by Mumford and Sons: This song is one of my all time favorites! I remember listening to this on the bus rides home from teaching when I lived in Chicago. I listened to this one a lot at the gym as I'd workout and think about where I've been and where I'm going. Fave lyric: "It seems like all my bridges have been burned, but you say that's exactly how this grace thing works."



"Over You" by Miranda Lambert: I fell in love with this song when Blake Shelton covered it at his concert (back when he and Miranda were in love). It's about longing and loss and it's beautiful. Fave lyric: "They say I'll be okay, but I'm not going to ever get over you."



"Sleep on the Floor" by The Lumineers: The new Lumineers album is perfection, but this song is my most favorite. I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what it's about but it's a great song and has interesting lyrics. Fave lyric: "Cause if we don't leave this town, we might never make it out."




"You Should Be Here" by Cole Swindell: I listened to this song all the time last spring and it has taken on a whole new meaning for us without Hadley. This is one of my favorite country songs of the year! Fave lyric: "And you know if I had just one wish it'd be that you didn't have to miss this."


"Closer" by Joshua Radin: One of my favorite songs ever. It's a super short song with a simple melody but it's beautiful and a classic to me. Fave lyric: "And a tear from your eye brings me home."


"Hey Angel" by One Direction: This is such an upbeat fun song and I love the message about communicating with an angel asking about life. Fave lyric: "Hey angel, do you look at us and laugh when we hold onto the past?"


"Saltwater Gospel" by Eli Young Band: I adore this song and it's catchy beat and summery vibe. I feel connected to God at the water and the lyrics really resonate with me. There is beauty in creation and especially at the beach! Fave lyric: "I can feel the power of that saltwater gospel, I'm as close to God as I can get."


"Vice" by Miranda Lambert: I'm adding another Miranda one to this list because this soulful song is just so. good. I think of this song "vice" when I want to eat a cookie and am trying to eat cleaner. Ha! Fave lyric: "Well the one thing I know how to find is another vice."

No comments:

Post a Comment