Sunday, August 14, 2016

Summer 2016: That's a wrap!

I have neglected my little corner of the internet all week and that makes me sad. I love to write and I miss it when I don't do it for a while. Nothing too profound to report just SCHOOL starting next week! Yikes! I am the most chilled out and laid back for the start of school than I've ever been in my life. Tragedy will do that to you! I have most things ready in my room and have some plans Monday and Tuesday to get onto more practical things like lesson planning. I am excited for a change of pace, to have a definitive mark of time as summer being officially over. I've had a lot of thinking time which I will forever be grateful for, but sometimes a gal's just gotta wear pants that actually zip, put on some eyeliner and dangley earrings and just do her thing, ya know? And my cute back to school mani certainly helps matters. This will be my 8th year teaching 1st grade. Isn't that crazy?!


We got tickets to the Parade of Homes this year and I LOVED it. It's basically where you get tickets and then get access to 30 or so model homes across the valley. I love a good model home for fun decor and design ideas. We aren't looking to buy any of these homes (although the 2.3 million dollar one would be nice!), but I had a great time seeing the decorations and style. It looks like the Fixer Upper/Joanna Gaines style game has taken over and I am A-ok with that. #shiplap #rusticchic

Nothing like a burlap bin and distressed white furniture 

I loved this fun piece and am on the hunt for something similar for our living room

ideas for bathroom lighting I liked


Distressed wood is my new thing. Blame Chip and Joanna 

Isn't this bathroom a dream? For 1.8 million it can be yours! 

exploring the homes with my man 
The healthy lifestyle thing is still going. I'm still sticking to the Monday through Friday meal plan and really liking the healthier lifestyle. We went out to dinner tonight since it's cheat weekend (lamb/feta burger/garlic fries and a delicious cocktail, come to mama!) but I'm setting aside some time to meal prep for the week ahead tomorrow. Lots of brown rice, hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, and packages of nuts and seeds. I need to remind myself that since my aim is "lifestyle change," I will not lose 20 lbs. like just this minute. I just won't. I'll keep you posted as we go. We are really enjoying new food combos and learning to make healthier choices during the work week. My small goal this week is greatly reducing/eliminating the creamer in my morning coffee.

this breakfast is a delight: Greek yogurt, blueberries, oats, honey

I slacked off on my gratitude journal this week (hi alarm clock mornings/meetings/ lots of ed speak) but I really got to thinking about how incredibly thankful I am for the wonderful people in our lives. Five years ago this month I moved back to Utah and I never imagined the incredible circle of support I have discovered. We went to a friend's house for a BBQ this week and AJ said to me on the way home how it feels good to laugh and have a wonderful distraction from so much thinking (which leads so often to so much sorrow). So here's a shout out to the good good people we know near and far. You show us goodness and friendship and we are thankful.



AJ's dad has gotten into wood working (he made Hadley the cutest cradle and has plans to make us a dining table!). My in laws were in town a few weeks ago and surprised us with this lovely outdoor furniture. Isn't it pretty? Perfect weekend coffee spot.....sunshine, pajamas and a good book were my jam this morning. Speaking of books, I am reading a great one now called "Look at You Now" about a wealthy young woman who gets pregnant as a teen and her parents send her to a home for girls. It's a bit like Orange is the New Black but it's a true story and very interesting. Our experience this summer led to a big shift in my thoughts on the matters of care for mamas and babies so I'm enjoying it.



I can't believe my Sunday to do list is back in full force with things on it like "pack lunch." (Wide eyed emoji here). But something about this year gearing up back to school is so very different. Different can be good. Cheers to a new week ahead! 


No comments:

Post a Comment