Saturday, December 30, 2017

Life Lately/2017 Recap

Hi There,
     End of 2017 here we come! I have loved this year. While we still were processing our grief from last year (a lifelong task, honestly), we also had a lot of fun, learned a lot, had wonderful experiences, and welcomed Hank into our lives, the cherry on top of this great year.

Here are some highlights from 2017---

January: Decided to read 30 books in 2017, Continued Boot Camp workouts

February: Went to Phoenix for a Sisters Weekend, went to the Harlem Globetrotters

March: Turned 30! Surprise trip to Vegas to see Britney Spears

April: Accepted a new teaching job, surprised AJ's parents and made an Oregon road trip, flew to Seattle for a friend's wedding and to visit family

May: Planted a garden, found out we were expecting a baby on Cinco de Mayo!

June: Moved out of my classroom, hosted the Baby Bow Bash , delivered bows to hospitals to celebrate Hadley's first birthday, hit 100 Boot Camp Workouts

July: Visited the Oregon Coast and stayed in a beach house with family, met with college friends in Portland, announced our pregnancy, reached book reading goal

August: Started new teaching job, found out we were having a boy

September: Began work on baby's nursery

October: Pete the Cat for Halloween, 2nd Annual Pumpkin Painting for Hadley

November: Bought a new car, spent Thanksgiving with both sides of family

December: HANK WAS BORN!

2017 was a perfect mix of busy, rest, reflection, change, growth, lots of quality couple time, and bringing our sweet baby boy into the world.

Life with a newborn is both what I expected and also completely different. I guess that's just parenthood, right? Hank is such a sweet baby and even at 2 weeks old, I can see glimpses of his personality. He's a little cuddler and he really only cries big when he's hungry (and I totally get that). He's been a champ with lots of lab work/blood pricks and time under "Bili Lights" for Jaundice. There were only three days in his first 2 weeks home where we didn't have to go to the lab or pediatrician's office.  He got a clean bill of health on Friday and jaundice has cleared so home health is coming to pick up the light bed. Woohoo! I was most worried about sleep deprivation before he was born. I'll say this: I probably get the same amount of sleep (in hours) but it's just all broken up. He eats every 3 hours or so and I usually get up with him but I am a super heavy sleeper and often AJ takes the middle of the night feed and lets me sleep. Since we're on Christmas break and then I'll be on maternity leave, I can also get in some naps. Ask me again when I go back to work. Haha.

We've discovered some baby items we could not live without and others that are a waste. I'll compile some of our thoughts for a future post if you're interested.

We are so thankful for all the love and well wishes we received after Hank's arrival. We think he's pretty awesome, too. We enjoyed our Christmas with family and for the first time, we spent Christmas at our house (we aren't ready to take Hank out yet). It was a great relaxing day with our traditional French Toast Bake for breakfast, wonderful gifts, and lots of baby snuggles. My mom made lasagna and brought that over for our dinner. It was the best Christmas yet.



Twice last week I left the house without Hank. I missed him! But also, I needed to get out for a bit! My sister and I went and got mani/pedis (I was scheduled to get a mani the day I had Hank, so my nails were looking worse for wear), and Friday night AJ and I went on a date night. My parents offered to babysit so we went to dinner out at The Bohemian (one of my faves and I was super excited to get a beer but then the thought of pumping and dumping was not appealing so my first post-baby alcoholic beverage is still waiting!), we went to the baby store to look for some new bottles, and then ended our night at The Chocolate for dessert. It felt awesome to get some one on one time with AJ and to put on real pants, do my hair, makeup, and wear some jewelry.




That's our life lately! I'm savoring these days. Hank is looking bigger already and babies truly don't keep. Have a very happy new year. Cheers to 2018! I have a feeling this one will be one for the books. Thanks for following along here on this little blog space for another year!


No comments:

Post a Comment