Thursday, July 23, 2015

God-Shaped Hole



I came across this song the other day on the radio (XM 63: The Message) and I found myself thinking of it all day. Listen to it and then read on.....I'll wait......GREAT song, huh? It's called "God-Shaped Hole" by a girl (or group?) named Plumb.

I really do believe it's true: that there's a God-shaped hole in all of us. It's natural for people to want to fill the void within us with all sorts of things-- other people, money, things, food, busyness, vanity, just to name a few. It's ironic because while these things must satisfy us for a time, they are never ever lasting. This is a lesson I've learned over and over again and will keep learning it every day of my life because God's goodness and truth are constant even when I forget or put my trust in other things.

For me, that God shaped hole is all about thinking I can do it all myself. I'm a go-getter kinda girl, I like to get things done and make things happen. No harm in that, right? Well, to a degree. Nothing I can do can ever come close to filling that God-shaped hole. It's like trying to fill a bucket with a fork: so futile, so frustrating (I've never actually tried doing that but I can imagine it's not fun).

 I'm still learning and it's a good thing God loves me through the process. I figure it's my life's work to try filling that God-shaped hole with the only thing that fits: God. Not those Frye boots I want. Not a pinterest-worthy kitchen. Not friends who laugh and cry with me and never let me down. Not that brownie (even that corner piece) that my sweet tooth craves. Not a packed schedule and full days. Not my precious 1st graders. Not even "me" time. Or, gasp! my husband. All of those elements (well, maybe except the brownie) fill my soul and make my heart soar and giving meaning and purpose to my life but news flash: but they will never. ever. complete. me. I simply cannot make God's blessings into my God. Those things aren't worship-worthy. It's hard, ya'll. But luckily He doesn't give us a fork to fill our God-sized hole, he gives us buckets upon buckets upon buckets of grace, peace, joy, and blessings. And that is one hole that when full? Makes me WHOLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment