Saturday, July 18, 2015

Whatcha Reading?

Hey everyone!
Me, reading poolside. Photo cred: Libby Allnatt 
     
     Let's talk books! I've been trying to read a book a week this summer. It hasn't exactly worked out but I've given my bookmark a workout this summer and here's what I've been digging in to:

I Regret Nothing by Jen Lancaster
Hilarious, perfect, but I expect nothing less from my literary/real life hero. It's a quick, fun read. Throw it in your pool bag.

Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle
Melanie Shankle, also known as Big Mama is a gem. She's funny, real, and heartfelt. This book is about motherhood and while I am not a mother myself, I found it sweet and charming. I read this a few years ago on a plane and decided to pick it up again this summer when I could absorb it a little more. Glad I did. 

Nobody's Cuter Than You by Melanie Shankle
Another Big Mama book, this memoir was a delight. It's a celebration of female friends and will make you laugh, cry, and send texts of inside jokes to your right hand ladies. 

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I am currently reading this now and almost finished. While a beach read it is not, this sweeping WWII story is beautiful and written in gorgeous language. I can't wait to find out what happens. Please tell me it has a happy ending, actually don't....not finished yet! 

The Dinner by Herman Koch
This is a book I never would have picked up on my own, but hubby came home with it from Barnes and Noble, read it in a week (and for AJ, that's HUGE) and raved about it. It was....interesting. I need people to read this book so we can discuss it. This is one that needs to be talked about. Eeerie, clever, and takes place during the course of one hella awkward meal. Short and quick read but it'll have you thinking about it for days. 

The Good News Is by Dana Perino
If you watch Fox News, you know Dana Perino from their afternoon talk show "The Five." If you don't watch Fox News, I understand. It's a little shout-y, and flashy, and makes me want to stockpile food and ammo because according to all their outrageous pundits the country is swirling.into.oblivion. Ahem, anyway, Dana is an amazing woman who worked for the Bush Administration as the chief of staff. She's graceful, classy, and you wouldn't want to mess with her. A great gift for a grad as it features wonderful advice for young women. 

Killing Monica by Candance Bushnell
This was an impulse Costco buy (tortilla chips, Kcups, toilet paper, and reads, obvi). This book was a delicious summer treat. Funny but also slightly dark it follows the story of an author and her friendship with the movie version of the character she created. HUGE twist at the end that had me reading the same paragraph 4 times going "what?!" Perfect summer read. 

There are 3 other books I read this summer (because I am keeping track of the number), but since I cannot for the life of me recall them, they probably aren't worth reading! What are YOU reading lately? Any good recommends for what to read next?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment