Thursday, October 22, 2015

Book Roundup

There is just something about fall that makes me want to get under a blanket and get through some pages. I read a few books this month and below are my thoughts. What are you reading lately?

1. Life is Short: I mentioned this book on my fall book list and really enjoyed it. It's a fluffy read (I think I read it in 3 days) but it's a fun read about overcoming obstacles and triumphing over your situation. The last half of the book is pretty much a recap of the show, so if you are a fan of "The Little Couple" you might like it or you might be bored.

2. Paper Towns: Loved this one. Another speedy read, it was interesting and caught my attention. I want to read more of John Green, his voice is candid and relatable.

3. The Real Thing: I mentioned this book last week. Such a fun read about true love, relationships, advice, and wedding anecdotes. I may have pulled out our wedding pics a few times while reading and remembering our special day. A must read for anyone who loves love....so all of us!

4. The Storied Life of AJ Fikry: Ok, this book. I must admit I grabbed it at the library as a joke because AJ asked me to pick up a book for him and hello? How hard is it to choose a book for someone else? That's a personal decision like what your Starbucks order is.....it's hard to order it up for someone else. I brought the book home and said, I picked this one for you, because it has your name in it! He rolled his eyes but got to reading. He finished it quickly and urged me to read it myself. You know what? One of the best books I read all year. It's about a grumpy old bookshop owner and the quirky characters in their small New England town. Something dramatic happens that shakes up his predictable world. I laughed, I cried. This one was a great find. And bonus, tons of fun literary references throughout.


5. Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet: I can't say much here because I began this book last night. I have heard great things. This is actually a text book of AJ's for a diversity in education class he is taking. I'll keep you posted.


In the meantime, here's wishing you a chunk of "you" time for a good read. Leave the technology behind and get acquainted with a book. I sound like a '90's Scholastic poster in an elementary school library, but you get the idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment