Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Page & Screen

Hey Everyone,
    I decided to combine my book and TV posts into one place lest you think all I do is watch TV, I read too! I tell my 1st graders to get off the screens at home and pick up a book so I try and heed my own advice now and again. PS) If you follow me on Insta, I put all my books there too. Sorry for the double post, but Insta helps ME keep track! 

I am on books 10 and 11 for 2017 (I set the goal for 30 books this year). Book 10 is "Barefoot" by Elin Hilderbrand--I wanted a light-ish chick lit read. Book 11 is the audio book of "The Magnolia Story." It just makes me more obsessed with The Gaines'. Can they adopt me? 



I recently finished "Hey Harry, Hey Matilda," a novel that takes place entirely through email exchanges between a quirky brother sister duo. It started out witty and fun and then got real strange real fast. There's a twist at the end that had me immediately googling the book to see what others thought. It was just ok....a super fast read which was nice and I loved the format of emails. 


I finally (after a month and 11.5 hours) finished listening to "A Hundred Summers" on audio. I absolutely loved this book. LOVED it. It was romantic, got me thinking, had plenty of twists and turns, characters I was rooting for, and it all takes place in the '30's. Glamour, much? This isn't exactly a super light read but if you're looking to be swept away into an epic drama of friendship, marriage, and family ties for a while, pick this one up. There's a lot of meat to it and despite the cover, it is much much more than a beach read. 


I would be lying if I said the fact that the narrator and lead of the book "A Paris Wife" is named Hadley didn't add to my reasons for picking this one up. I love historical fiction but tend not to read too much of it (I don't want to be fact checking poolside, mmkay?) but this one has been on my list for years. I really enjoyed it. It makes you sort of think Ernest Hemingway is a bit of a jerk, but like "A Hundred Summers," it is a sweeping narrative that transports you to another time and place. And now I want to visit Paris.

I read Present Over Perfect and loved it so much I am dedicating a whole blog post to it, so look for that coming up. I also read "Giddy Up Eunice" by one of my fave bloggers, Boo Mama. This book was cute--much more like a devotional/biblical than her other books which are more autobiographical. Overall, though, I loved the message of women needing each other and reaching across generational lines to make positive connections with one another. 


Ok, that's enough pages, let's talk TV!

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention THE BACHELOR. Yes I tuned in faithfully every week (ABC Monday nights own me), but this was my very least favorite season (even worse than Ben Flajnik, that's serious, people). I was always Team Nick but his arrogance this season was so off putting. I never really felt true chemistry with him and any of the women. I feel like there was so much pressure for him to just find someone so America wouldn't roll their eyes again at him. I am so excited for Rachel's season of The Bachelorette---she's funny, cute, smart, and props to ABC for adding some diversity. 

The Voice: I'm not as into this show as I was last season. I miss Miley! Alicia is still my most fave, but the Blind Auditions were sort of boring. This is a show I have on while I grade, make dinner, do my makeup, etc. It definitely doesn't require my full attention. I'll probably keep watching because I like the songs but it's not my favorite.


American Housewife: I love this show. I think it's so adorable and relatable, definitely one of my favorite sitcoms. Anna Kat is my soul sister.


This is Us: This show is perfection. After each episode, I'm just so blown away by the heart, dialogue, soul, and honesty of this show. It deals with marriage, parenthood, baby loss, adoption, body image, weight loss, heart break, careers, cancer, homosexuality, alcoholism, guilt, drug use, sibling relationships, race, and more..it's an hour of your week you won't regret. 

Keeping Up with the Kardashians: This show premiered again this week! It's ridiculous, they are all out of touch with reality, but I love it and this looks like it'll be a good season. I can' wait to see the part about Kim's robbery unfold. 

Big Little Lies: This is an HBO show based on one of my favorite books by Liane Moriarty. It's a "limited series" and I think they've stretched it as far as it can go. It's pretty dark and scandalous (the book was too) and I love the power house cast: Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Reese Witherspoon. It's a great Sunday night show.
Teachers: If you are an elementary teacher and are not watching this, YOU ARE MISSING OUT! This is a hilarious sitcom on TV Land. It's relatable (not too far from the truth), laugh out loud funny, and just a tad inappropriate. You don't have to be a teacher to give this one an A plus.
Girls: This is sadly the final season of this show. I absolutely adore this show and each episode is so full of rich dialogue, funny moments, and insightful commentary on being a young woman today. I can't wait to see how this season wraps up. I am a forever fan of this show.

Other shows I'm into: My Big Fat Fabulous Life, American Crime, Superstore, Teen Mom, Young and Hungry, and always Dateline because of course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment