Monday, January 29, 2018

Take Out Fake Out: Fried Rice (or Quinoa)

I love Chinese takeout. There's nothing quite like a little paper box with red writing on it when you're hungry and you know the contents will be flavorful, delicious, and familiar. One of my favorite take out dishes is fried rice. There's a few local Chinese places we like but we've been spending a lot more time at home lately with our little guy so I decided to try my hand at this "take out fake out" vegetable fried rice. I found my inspiration online and made a few tweaks and came up with this recipe! I made mine with quinoa because I had some on hand. This would work with quinoa, white rice, brown rice, and I bet it would even work with cauliflower rice (but that's not my jam so you'll have to let me know if you try that). I had to buy some teriyaki sauce, scallions, and frozen veggies (you could use fresh veggies but chopping it all? ain't nobody got time for that), but other than that, I had everything else I needed!


You will need:

1 and 1/2 cups quinoa cooked in 3 cups water
3 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. teriyaki sauce
butter (around 2 tbs)
minced garlic
1/4 of a white onion finely diced
1 bag frozen peas and carrots
crushed red pepper
ginger
olive oil
1 bunch scallions
3 eggs
sesame seeds for garnish

1. To begin, make your quinoa or rice in advance. I just made mine in the morning and popped it in the fridge. Everything I read said fried rice works best with cold cooked rice  (a meal preppers dream or great for leftover rice too)

2. In a bowl mix your sauce: soy sauce and teriyaki sauce and set aside.


3.  In a skillet, place some butter (I used around 2 tbs) and saute your white onion with minced garlic. Add your frozen veggies (I thawed mine on the counter for about 15 minutes before I began cooking but you don't need to). Then add olive oil (I just eyeballed a few shakes)  a small pinch of crushed red pepper, salt and pepper, and a dash of ginger.


4. Add in your  precooked grain (quinoa or rice) . Stir fry for about 10 minutes on high heat. Toss in the soy sauce mixture.


5. Make a well in the middle of your mixture and crack in eggs, scramble, then continue to stir fry.

6. Top with scallions and sesame seeds and serve.

This makes a HUGE batch. I served it up alongside General's Tso's chicken (frozen....this new mama's not making two homemade dishes for one meal. Ha!). I loved this recipe and how versatile it is, you can add in any meat or veggies you like. The perfect take out fake out! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment