Saturday, August 15, 2015

Let the waves do their work in you....

On Friday morning I was craving my daily devotional. I was wiped out from Back to School night the night before, had a million to dos swirling in my head for school, I was bummed because AJ was working all weekend (LAST one, though, yahoo!), and just blah. I am obsessed with my devotional book "Savor" by Shauna Niequist. It's just beautiful and perfect and you know what? Each day seems to be exactly what I need to hear for that certain moment in time. Friday's message was no exception. I quoted it on facebook Friday morning because it's just...well, read it yourself:

"If you dig in and fight the changes, they will smash you to bits. They will hold you under, drag you across the rough sand, scare and confuse you. But if you can, in the wildest of seasons, trust in the goodness of God, who made it all and holds it all together, you'll find yourself drawn to a whole new place, and there's truly nothing sweeter. Unclench your fists, unlock your knees and the door to your heart, take a deep breath, and begin to swim. Begin to let the waves do their work in you."


I mean, isn't that just beautiful?!  I think sometimes we can get so entrenched in the season we are currently in that we forget it's just that, a season, a phase. I'm not saying life is not great right now, it is. I'm excited about the new school year and the awesome adventures we have planned for this fall. BUT...change is scary. It hurt my heart to see my former students at back to school night and realize they weren't mine anymore. I know I'll fall into a groove with my new students, their families, the new dynamic in the classroom, with my new teammates, and in my first year as 1st grade team lead. We will get there and it will be wonderful. But now? I am forgetting what the beginning feels like and just missing the end result. But in that quote, and in my journal, I discovered that the hard, the bad, the challenging, the crazy, the upsetting, and scary seasons carved me, formed me, and created me into who I am. I will embrace the waves and let the wave maker work in me because it's better to be looking to God while in the water than being comfortable on the shore. 
And sometimes He will call us deeper than we want to go and it's important to follow. Which led me to think of THIS worship favorite song. And I just had myself a little moment there on Friday and blasted this song. 




So, friend, put on your cutest swimsuit, sunnies, and dive in. "Let the waves do their work in you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment