Thursday, September 14, 2017

Bumpdate: 23 Weeks

Ohmygoodness, what is with pregnancy (and I hear parenthood too) and how it distorts your sense of time? I feel like I've been pregnant for just a minute but then also like a whole decade too. Weird. I'm 23 weeks pregnant tomorrow and it's time I do some updating on the blog for memory's sake!
Baby: Baby BOY is growing a lot and doctors predict him to be about a pound and a quarter in weight and about 13 inches long. He's very active and loves moving around from dinner time to bedtime the most. If I don't feel him much during the day I tend to worry and give my belly a little poke or rub and he usually gets going. Sorry to be a bug, little guy, mama just wants to make sure you're ok in there! We got some awesome pictures at our last visit of his little cheeks, nose, and mouth. We were fortunate to get another great long ultrasound at 22 weeks because his heart was hard to make out at the original anatomy scan. So we basically had two separate anatomy scans so doctors could get in there and see clearly everything they needed to.  We read to him every night and it's one of my favorite parts of the day.  I am loving looking at boy clothes and we have purchased most all his nursery decor. This weekend we are hoping to settle on a paint color. After each doctor visit (every other week or so), we buy something small for baby. Last week's "present" was new socks. Our next item to get is a waterproof crib mattress cover because #reallife.

Mama: I still get sick most days and 9 times out of 10 I wake up with the urge to puke (and I usually do). Luckily, from 20 weeks on, the sickness stuck to just the morning. In the first trimester, I vomited multiple times a day, lost about 5 pounds, and struggled with staying hydrated. I am much much better now. I crave sweet carbs (who doesn't really?) like muffins, toast with honey, cereal, bagels, and anything cinnamon-y.
    I am really enjoying my teaching job this year and my class is a delight. However, teaching the full day really takes it out of me. I try really hard to hit the gym at least 3 times a week for a brisk walk and some light weights. The other days, I am in my jammies by 5:00 and usually in bed reading or watching TV by 9. As soon as the weather cools down a bit, I am excited for evening walks outside.

Precautions: I'm going to be totally real with ya'll: I worry often and have been having nightmares even that baby comes too early. It's to be expected after the trauma we went through and I know it's normal, but most of the time, I straddle the line between over the moon on one hand and terrified and vulnerable on the other hand. I can honestly say I never realized how fragile and precious life is until I met Hadley. I have given myself milestones and really do celebrate when I hit them (biggies: 12 weeks, 20 weeks, 24 weeks, 30 weeks, 34 weeks, and I pray and hope I make it to 38 weeks). AJ gives me progesterone shots once a week. These can potentially reduce the chance for pre-term labor. AJ is such a champ giving me these shots. He took careful notes on how to administer them, sets up his "shot area" each week, orders medicine refills, and he's even asked me for a copay, lol, ummm, I don't think so, buddy!  They don't hurt too bad when he gives them to me but they can be sore and painful the day after. It hurts to sit sometimes! Yikes! He always makes me laugh and plays the song "Shots" by LMFAO (look it up if you haven't heard it) on "shot nights." In addition, each visit from 16 weeks on the doctors also check my cervical length.

It's a lot of time in the doctor's office (the same hospital where Hadley spent her whole life) so there's a lot of feelings there, but overall, I feel comforted knowing the medical professionals have a watchful eye on baby and I. We've seen nearly every doctor and nurse with the Maternal-Fetal Medicine team and while we have "our" doctor, we know that whatever happens, whenever it happens, we are in careful and caring hands.

I am looking forward to my maternity leave and we just can't wait to meet our little man. Our love for him is so big!
This was back at 13 weeks, but I love how is hands are behind his head. He's just lounging! 

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. -Romans 15:13 

No comments:

Post a Comment