Sunday, February 25, 2018

February Reads

It's time for my monthly book round up! If you want to see last month's books, click here

I read 6 great books this month. Isn't there just something about curling up with a warm mug under blankets and reading? But I also can't wait for a cool glass of lemonade and patio reading too (Come on, spring!). Ok....let's get to the books. By the way, I spent part of the month on maternity leave so I don't expect to read as many books in March. A girl can try, though....my "want to read" list is long!


1. The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell: This was an awesome book! If you are a Liane Moriarty fan you will enjoy this one. I read a Lisa Jewell book last year and liked it. This one is about a man and his three wives (not at the same time, this is NOT a polygamist story), and the fall out that impacts his family from his divorces and marriages. It is a great look at a family trying to balance it all and the dramatic and.....deadly (!) consequences. This is a suspenseful yet thoughtful read.

2. Parent Hacks by Asha Dornfest: This was a super fast read with numbered tips for parents with kids from babyhood, to toodlerhood and beyond. I really enjoyed this one, it would make a great gift for a new mama. My fave tip? Wrap up spare outfits in an elastic band in the diaper bag. When you use the outfit, the elastic band on your wrist will remind you to update the diaper bag. This book is like a condensed version of hours of pinterest scrolling.
3. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion: This one has been on my "to read" list for months and maybe it should have stayed there. This book was just ok. It features a nerdy autistic narrator (portrayed pretty much like the lead character in the Good Doctor) and his quest for love. This one did not live up to the hype for me. It was cute, it was sort of good, but it was not great. It took me longer to finish than most books because I had a hard time getting into it.

4. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan: I really enjoyed this love story! It's basically a Lifetime movie meets the story of Megan Markle and Prince Harry meets classic chick lit. I love me a story that spans time and this one follows the American Rebecca Porter on her journey from college dorm days to her transformation to sophisticated royal wife....with lots of ups and downs in between. It was heartfelt, cute, funny and.....long (about 500 pages). About 100 pages too long in my opinion, but overall, I was glad I read it.

5. Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush: I really enjoyed this book written by the Bush twins about their life story. I think Jenna is just adorable on The Today Show and life inside The White House fascinates me (I wrote my senior thesis on First Ladies). I love how this story isn't told chronologically but rather through anecdotes about dating life, being a college student with a secret service team in tow, their awesome humanitarian work, what it's like to hear your dad bashed in the media, and more. I had no idea both Laura Bush's family as well as George Bush 41's were plagued by baby loss. This was a quick, interesting read.

6. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline: This book was a recommendation from my mom and I really enjoyed it. It follows a woman who discovers her adopted son's picture on a Missing Children sign. She investigates and uncovers all sorts of drama and deception. This one reminds me a lot of Jodi Piccoult's books. I highly recommend this one if you're looking for a juicy novel to get lost in.

I'm ready to dive into my March reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment