Monday, March 26, 2018

March Reads

Hi There,
    My reading has slowed down as my pumping has dropped off and that little 40 hour a week commitment called teaching. BUT....I did manage to read 5 books this month! Here we go...

1. Anxious for Nothing by Max Lucado: This was an excellent read. The main jist is that we don't need to worry or fret over anything because God's got it all figured out. One of my favorite parts was how Lucado talks about how God's way is perfect even if we don't necessarily like it or if it doesn't feel that way at the time. This book reminded me of another one of my favorites, "Choose Joy" by Kay Warren. I wish I had actually purchased this book instead of gotten it from the library because it would be good to take notes on it and return to later. I'd recommend if you're a worrier (raises hand).

2. The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert: This was the most "meh" of all the books I've read this year. I had high hopes for this one about a young widower and his son who move to an apple orchard to work for the summer....there's love, family drama, and it was sort of slow and predictable. It was typical chick lit if that's your scene but there are much more entertaining chick lit novels out there. The author's previous book, The Coincidence of Coconut Cake was much more enjoyable.

3. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan: This one has been on my "to read" list for a few months. It takes place in England and Scotland and follows the story of a woman who opens a mobile book bus to take her love of reading all over the rural countryside. It was cute, classic chick lit. It was also fairly predictable, but you can tell the author has a true love and passion for the act of reading (as does the protagonist) and that really came across. This would be a fun one to pack in your beach bag this summer.


4. The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani: I LOVED this book and it was the first book I've read in a while that I did not want to put down. It is a short book and it is very suspenseful. I didn't love the ending but the tension in this one just builds and builds. Creepy, interesting, very Dateline-ish. If you like Gillian Flynn books you'd really enjoy this one.

5. Sugar by Kimberly Stuart: My reading list this month was chock full of chick lit and this one fits the bill. This was a great read. I loved the plot about a young pastry chef who moves to Seattle to be on a reality show. (Big city? Romance? Baking? Female friendships? Relatable narrator? All the elements of a successful read in my opinion). This one was not as predictable as the others. I found myself wanting to read more and more before I hopped out of the bathtub or turned off my lamp to go to bed. I definitely want to read more from Kimberly Stuart!

I have a STACK of books up next to read and am excited for spring break coming up to get into some pages. And backyard reading with Hankers on a picnic blanket? YES please (until we see bugs then nope).

And because we're a quarter into 2018 (What? How?) I am posting all my 2018 reads so far here. While all had their pros and cons, I put stars next to ones I especially enjoyed.

*1. Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
2. When We Were Worthy by Marybeth Whalen
*3. Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan
4. Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker
*5. One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
6. Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan
*7. The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell
8. Parent Hacks by Asha Dornfest
9. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
10. The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
*11. Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hagar and Barbara Pierce Bush
12. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline
13. Anxious for Nothing by Max Lucado
14. The Simplicity of Cider by Amy E. Reichert
15. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
*16. The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani
*17. Sugar by Kimberly Stuart

Happy reading!

Savor Your Sparkle,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment