Saturday, May 26, 2018

May Reads

It's time for another monthly book recap! I read 5 books this month and tried to get a variety of types. If you want to see other book reviews from 2018, click here. Here we go.....


1. Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins. I liked this book, I think it'd be a great one to toss in your pool bag or to pack on a getaway. It takes place in Maine is a bit of a prodigal daughter story. It was typical chick lit, not the greatest one I've come across, but a perfect summery book.

2. Our Father by Pope Francis: This was a super short read and I really liked it. I love the wisdom of this pope and I really liked the format of this book breaking down The Lord's Prayer. He writes beautifully about God as the father---a caring, loving God completely invested in our lives.
3. Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser: This was the first book I received from my Book of the Month Club subscription (AJ got it for me for my birthday. Each month they send you summaries of 5 books and you pick the one you want for the month. If you want to add a previous month's book selection to your monthly box it's only $10. Many of the books haven't even be released yet). Anyway, the description of this book about a neighborhood wine club of young moms full of secrets seemed right up my alley (Liane Moriarty, anyone?) but I didn't love this one. It has a really satisfying and happy ending but it took way too long to get to it. It wasn't bad but there are way better suspenseful chick lit reads out there.
4. How To Walk Away by Katherine Center: I really liked this book!! This was another Book of the Month club pick and I chose it because I was in the mood for a novel to get lost in with an uplifting story and some romance. This story is about a woman who becomes a paraplegic and how she rebuilds her life, reconnects with family, and makes her life one worth living. The bulk of the story takes place in a hospital and it paints such a realistic portrayal of patient life and recovery. This might make it into my top 10 books of the year. I'd love for this to be made into a movie!
5. Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis: Ok guys, I had HIGH expectations for this one. I was reading everywhere that this book is a must read for the Jen Hatmaker/Melanie Shankle/Shauna Niequists fan girls (me!). I really did not love this book. It's got great points (follow your dreams! work hard! commit to your marriage! don't have mom guilt!) but the author has a massive ego and never fails to put in sections about how awesome she is and how she has such a huge social media following. I kept feeling like the "lessons" she delivers are coated in smug self satisfaction (the title of this read should have been my clue). I read many reviews of this book and it seems I am the only one who feels this way (shoulder shrug emoji). There are beautiful, heartfelt, hilarious books about modern Christian womanhood that are just so much more worth picking up in my opinion (For The Love by Jen Hatmaker and Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist  to only name a few). 

Now we are approaching summer and I am ALL ABOUT cracking open a good book, sipping an iced beverage and relaxing! Happy reading, friends!

Savor Your Sparkle,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment