Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October Reads

It's time for another edition of monthly reads! To see all the book posts from 2018, click here.
October started out slow on the reading front and I wondered if I'd even finish 2 books, but I did and ended up really enjoying this month of books.

1. The Other Woman by Sandie Jones: I had super high hopes for this one and was on the library waitlist for a while, and this one sort of fell flat for me. It's about a struggling young woman and her evil mother in law (2018, please cool it with the Lifetime movie character prototypes). I found parts to be a bit laughable and the "twist" at the end made me eyeroll. I'd skip this one if I were you.

2. The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg: Ok, so I loved this book but nothing really happens in it. How's that for a ringing endorsement? This book is a short novel about a woman rebuilding her life after her husband passes away. She moves to a small town, befriends the local characters, and "finds herself." There are no major twists or crazy plot points, but it was sweet. And heartfelt. The description of this book reads, "Elizabeth Berg's The Year of Pleasures is about acknowledging the solace found in ordinary things: a warm bath, good food, the beauty of nature, music, friends, and art." This is a simple book that was a perfect choice to usher in cool fall days. 

3. Whiskey In a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon: Reese Witherspoon wrote a book ("What? Like it's hard?"-Elle Woods) with an adorable title that I was excited to dive into. This is a really fun read that's part coffee table book, part cookbook, part lifestyle manual, part memoir. It's all about Reese's childhood in the South and how to emulate the best parts of Southern culture (food, manners, gumption) wherever you are. This was a fun read and would make an awesome holiday book gift!

4. The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle: This was a Book of the Month club pick and I liked it. I did. But... it sort of confused me. This is about a young woman who ends up at a mysterious dinner party with ghosts from her past (actual ghosts, people....one of them is Audrey Hepburn) and rehashes her relationships to make more sense of them. I feel like that description didn't make a lot of sense because the book sort of doesn't either. It goes back and forth from the mysterious dinner party to the relationship with her ex-boyfriend. I liked the love story but the whole concept was sort of odd. I read this one quickly because I found myself wanting to read on to find out how it all fits together. This is not one I typically would have picked up, so I'm glad for the Book of the Month Club to expose me to some new reads. 

5. Good Luck With That by Kristan Higgins: This book was so fun. If you're looking for classic chick lit with a lot of heart and great characters, pick this one up. This book follows a group of girlfriends who try and attack their bucket lists after their friend passes away. This one deals with weight, love, family, girl power, and more. This is just a great book that was the perfect balance of easy breezy and heartfelt and thoughtful. 

That's 62 book so far in 2018. I have a stack of other fun reads ready to roll. Grab a cozy blanket, make a cup of tea, and get into some pages!

Savor Your Sparkle,
Leslie 

No comments:

Post a Comment