Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Spring Book Round Up

I've been reading a lot lately (I was mainly motivated because I checked out Girl on a Train from the library and waited until my 3rd week with it to begin, it was not able to be renewed and I was not about to buy a book I already had in my hot little hand for free. A 3 hour marathon reading session last weekend allowed me to finish it). Here's a few of the reads I've been digging into lately:


1. Driving with the Top Down: I really liked this one! I was expecting classic chick lit, but the plot was actually pretty involved and I found myself not wanting to put it down. This is a great beach read (or you know, just an "in your house" read, too). Check it out for some laughs, romance, and reflections on being a girlfriend through thick and thin. Pair with a glass of white wine (or a smoothie if you're in the motherly way) and a bubble bath. 



2. Girl on a Train: I really enjoyed this book. I know it was the hot read last summer but I was just now getting into it. I love any tale told from different perspectives, and it kept me on the edge of my seat. It read like a more detailed, character-driven Lifetime movie. It reminded me of my girl, Gillian Flynn's work, and I highly recommend it.



3. I Said Yes. I know, I know, I am a sucker for anything in The Bachelor franchise. This was a really interesting book and made me realize there's a lot more to Emily Maynard than a pretty face and a "West Virginia hood rat" beat down should someone call her precious daughter "baggage" (damn, I loved her season). If you are a fan of the show, this is worth the read. 

I have yet to read these last 2, but they are on my list:


1. Saving the School: My parents bought me this one for my birthday (they later confessed they found it at the dollar store. What can I say, my family is well skilled in identifying diamonds in the rough.) I love any good teacher book I can nerd out to. Education reform gets me all fired up so I'm looking forward to the perspective outlined here. 



2. Firefly Lane: his book came highly recommended by by hair dresser and since then, I've heard a few others talking about it. According to Amazon, "Firefly Lane is the poignant, powerful story of two women and the friendship that becomes the bulkhead of their lives." I love a good chick lit about friendship (see above, "Driving with the Top Down," so I'm excited to read this one. 




And in between it all, I've been reading my daily dose of "Savor" --the best daily devotional I have ever read, I cheat and read days and days ahead because it's so beautiful and relevant. I've also been digging into the Bible of moms to be: What to Expect When You're Expecting. It's helpful and interesting, but I can only take so much information before my hypochondriac self needs to back away from the book, rub my growing belly, whisper a prayer, and hope for the best.

 What have you been reading lately?? Any must have books for your spring/summer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment