Sunday, August 26, 2018

August Reads

I have been so pumped to post my August reads for you all because this was my favorite reading month of 2018 (so far!). August is also the last month of summer so I know my reading will probably slow significantly so I felt like I had to read read read this month to get in all these great ones!
Here we go....

1. I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara: This. book. was. amazing. I am a true crime lover and the story of the Golden State Killer fascinates (and sickens) me. This book is a wonderful non-fiction book that reads like a novel. It's just as much about Michelle's journey and thoughts as it is about straight facts about the case. My heart absolutely breaks that his arrest occurred after Michelle passed away. There is a beautiful and haunting poem in this book that Michelle wrote in the midst of decades of dead ends (but how close she got to actually pinning down the killer is uncanny) where she writes that one day he will be an old man, living his life, smug that he got away with so much terror, and the police will knock on his door and justice will finally be served. CHILLS (this actually happened this past spring). If you like true crime, this is a must read.

2. People I Want To Punch In The Throat by Jen Mann: This one was a delight. I am a huge fan of hilarious memoirs and this one all about suburban motherhood made me laugh. From Jen's anxiety over getting her kids signed up for the "right" summer camps to her strong desire to own a mini van, this one is relatable and funny, self-deprecating in all the right ways and sweet at heart. A fun, fast read.

3. Hello Sunshine by Laura Dave: I was browsing audio books at the library looking for one to round out the summer in the car and the cute cover of this one caught my eye. This book was so fun, I loved it! It involves romance, the social media and food scene, pretty descriptions of the Hamptons, and more. This is cute chick lit at its best. You'll find yourself cheering for the protagonist as she rebuilds her life and has adventures along the way.

4. My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan: I LOVED THIS BOOK! I finished this one in a weekend because I just had to keep reading to find out what would happen next. This one follows an American Woman who goes to Oxford and has fun adventures (reminded me a lot of The Royal We) but then she falls in love....with a professor. About half way through there's a major twist that I did not see coming. I cried in this one, laughed, and cheered. It was a wonderful book.
5. When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger: I was on the library hold list for this one for a long time and it makes perfect sense: this is a great pool-side summer read. This one was cute, fluffy chick lit. I mean, it's Lauren Weisberger (The Devil Wears Prada) so you know it'll be good. There's honestly not much of a story here, more like 3 pals brought together in Connecticut and how their lives unfold. Still, it was definitely worth the read. The best part? The cameo from Miranda Priestly (the devil herself)!

6. From Scratch: Inside the Food Network by Allen Salkin: This book was in my Easter basket from my family this year. I love the Food Network and I loved reading about the stars of the network. It made me respect Bobby Flay, eye-roll over Robert Irvine, love Rachael Ray, confirm that Anne Burrell is pretty odd, and decide that Ina is in a class all her own. This book was way too long and dense (lots of talk about how the network was created, early days of niche cable networks), but overall it was an interesting read. I'd only recommend this one if you watch and like the Food Network...and even then it was a lot. It's worth skimming!

7. Ghosted by Rosie Walsh: This was my July Book of the Month pick. Ok, I LOVED this one for the first half. It follows the story of a woman who meets and falls in love with her dream man over one fateful weekend. He then disappears leaving her reeling. You do end up finding out why she was "ghosted," and it all wraps up nicely in the end. I guess all the psychological thrillers and twisted characters in other reads this year had me expecting a bit more.

8. Heart Land by Kimberly Stuart: Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the first book to ever make me have a library fine! This one was due earlier this week and I was half way through, it couldn't be renewed, and I had no choice. I'd say it's 75 cents well spent. I loved the book Sugar by Kimberly Stuart so I put her name on my list to check out and this is her latest book. The good? Fun romance and "prodigal daughter" story line. The not so good? Typical. Very typical. This one has a sightly Christian bend but not enough to be considered a "Christian novel." I am torn on this one. It was cute and fun but totally not memorable.

This was one of my favorite reading months! I have full nightstand of September reads ready to roll. Now if only I could add some more hours in my day. Happy reading, friends!

Savor Your Sparkle,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment